Monday, April 25, 2011

Life is good

So a little history...since about 10th grade I've had all sorts of stomach issues. Acid reflux being the biggest one. But I've had heartburn, indigestion, slow digestion, etc. Anyway, I also had my gallbladder removed in 2000...and after Gwen was born I was diagnosed with GERD. (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a condition in which the stomach contents (food or liquid) leak backwards from the stomach into the esophagus (the tube from the mouth to the stomach). This action can irritate the esophagus, causing heartburn and other symptoms.

Anyway, so at one point I decided I didn't want to take ANY medication for it anymore. I wanted to see if I could take care of the problem on my own. Not to mention that some of the meds would slow my digestion and cause other problems. BOO! So for a couple years I have gone without meds. I put up with the acid reflux, the heartburn, and all that it entails. That of course affects my diet. I tend to eat more bland foods...and most of the time I am eating dinner around 4:30-5:00, since we go to bed around 9:00-9:30! Otherwise I am up all night with horrid reflux that results in pain the next day. I feel that pain in my esophagus. It almost feels like my esophagus has been torn to pieces all night, and then somehow I'm supposed to eat the next day with that pain! Ick...no bueno!

So because of this surgery I had...I have had to (obviously) be flat more often than not. And when someone has acid reflux issues, you know that you DO NOT lay down after eating. But that's what I've been doing. So along with my issues from the surgery, I also have dealt with my stomach issues...but so much worse. I've had swelling in my throat, so it's hard to swallow and also hard for food to go down! It's a daily thing. ANYWAY, so back to the present...last week (Wednesday) I was up at 4:00AM like usual, and I looked up info on my stomach issues. I came across info for esophageal cancer. When I looked at the symptoms, I was scared. (and scared is really a huge understatement) I had EVERY symptom. Not just one, or two! But all of them! So...long story short...lots of tears and worry over the possibility of me having cancer...I ended up getting an EGD (endoscopy) on Friday to see what the issues were. Turns out I am fine. I do have ulcers...go fig! But no cancer, no cell change in my esophagus. Relief!!!

Some might think that jumping to the conclusion of cancer is dramatic and borderline hypochondriac, but for me it is a serious thing. Both of my grandparents on my mother's side died from cancer. Two years ago my older brother died of a brain tumor, and my half sister is currently battling breast cancer. I do have a right to worry! But having this test done has brought me so much relief. And John was relieved too! It was a scare, and I now just have to take preventative measures (taking meds for the rest of my life) I guess! But if that's what it takes, then I'll do it.

But one thing is for sure...I have a Heavenly Father who loves me! I got so much comfort from my husband's priesthood blessing on Thursday night. I know that I am constantly being watched out for. And that Heavenly Father knows our pain and struggles. So even though I am still in some pain from my surgery, (emotionally and physically)...today, I am so grateful for life! How can I not be? I am grateful for my husband who is so supportive and truly loves me. And I am grateful that I have three healthy and beautiful children! I may have struggles like we all do, but I feel like the luckiest and most blessed woman in the world. Life is good!

**And in other news...evidently I made a fool out of myself after coming out of the anesthesia on Friday. I had conversations with lots of different people, and I remember nothing. *sigh* :)

No comments:

Post a Comment