Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Update

I'd like to thank my mom for letting me use her laptop...it makes a hospital stay not so horrible. I am trying to think clearly while on a mixture of Percocet and Morphine. We'll see how this goes.

The surgery went well. (and by the way...if you don't want to hear girly-gross details, stop reading) :) But they didn't have to do an abdominal hysterectomy, which is great! Yesterday is sort of a blur. We waited for a while after being checked in, and finally they started prepping me. And the surgery lasted 2 hours. Waking up was painful, but not horrible. They had me pretty drugged. And the rest of the day was mostly sleeping and...more sleeping.

My night nurse was wonderful. She was so sensitive and caring. She was with me when I started hurting worse than ever. The pain up inside of me, plus cramping...is just the worst! The doctor told me this pain is worse than childbirth, now I believe him. Early this morning the nurse Melinda wanted me to go on a walk. So she took me (very slowly) for a little walk outside my room. I was told, but had forgotten...that they put me in the maternity ward. (let's dig the knife a little deeper eh?) So on my walk I just cried and cried. I told her I hadn't planned this and didn't want this. I wanted a baby, not a surgery! She was so supportive. She held my hand and let me cry. When John left for work this morning, I lost it again. I felt depressed and scared to face the day without him. And I was hurting.

Coughing, sneezing, blowing my nose...used to be easy! Not today! So earlier I was in so much pain I couldn't even sit up. Turns out they put gauze up inside of me to control the bleeding. The gauze was causing so much pain and pressure. They kept telling me the doc would be in soon to remove it...they told me that at 9:00AM. He didn't come remove it until about 1:45PM! Needless to say it has been a rough morning. John arrived just in time to be there when it was removed. It seriously felt like he was pulling my guts out. It hurt so bad. Anyway, now that is it out I can actually sit without being in so much pain. Everything still hurts, but I can at least sit. I also have two external incisions that are way tender, but they will heal fast I'm sure!

So because I have a phone and a computer...I was able to shoot some pictures of my experience here. So here you go...

Every single time they give me more meds they have to scan this band. The red band is my "blood band." That band has everything they need to know about my blood...in case I need a transfusion (which I won't)
Pale face, swollen eyes and crazy hair! Not to mention a gown that is 50 sizes too big! I am a sight! That little floral pillow is my coughing pillow. Yes, you heard right. I have to press that pillow into my stomach while I cough/sneeze/etc. It relieves the pressure!
My compression cuffs! Left, right, left, right...they blow up and release. No blood clots allowed!
The IV that they put my heavenly morphine into. Seriously, thank goodness for modern medicine. I don't think I would've been a good pioneer.
My view. My must-have's. Computer, ice-chips (for my dry mouth), my contraption for breathing treatments...(I have a temperature, and they were worried about me getting pneumonia) So I have to use that and take really deep, long breaths 8-10 times per day. My water, my remote, chapstick, cell phone, the controls to call my nurse...and my Lorna Doons. All the essentials!
Once again...thanks to everyone who has called, sent me texts, visited or just said prayers. If I start feeling down on myself I have to remember that I am loved and I have people praying for me. It brings me so much peace. There is a lot of emotional pain that goes along with all of this, but once again...I know that we have the Atonement for this very reason. He heals us emotionally, physically, mentally and Spiritually. I know I will be just fine!

5 comments:

  1. Love you, and prayers your way unceasingly. After I lost my baby, they put me in the maternity ward, it broke my heart into a million pieces. Love you, much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I am glad that everything went as well as it did. I've been thinking about you and praying. Now, comes the prayers for a fast recovery. Thanks for keeping us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are keeping you in our prayers, Amy!! Here's to a speedy recovery! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. What would a girl do without chapstick and Lorna Doons!! Oh, and pain meds, too! Essentials! I've been thinking about you, and glad everything went well. Can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorna Doone's, how I love you!

    Hope you aren't there much longer. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete